Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What If ...?

Modern medicine, and biology generally, are unthinkable without Darwinian evolution. According to the poll numbers Americans have their doubts to about the central tenets of evolution, to put it mildly. The practical result of these doubts will be the neutering of American medicine and biology generally.



At some point, the destructive effects of "creationist science" on biology and medicine will become apparent. Almost certainly this will be when advanced biology and medicine will be developed somewhere other than the US.



I picture maybe the Chinese or the Koreans developing some wonderful and powerful application of biology. This hypothetical application would be the biological equivalent of Sputnik. Perhaps it will be something from stem cells, perhaps it will be something that would be difficult to imagine today. But thoroughly as if from science fiction.



I've started reading Scientists Confront Intelligent Design and Creationism, Amazon link. It is a collection of essays by various scientists and philosophers. I've only read the introduction and the first essay, but as a matter of first impression, this is the one book to have handy if you are likely to find yourself participating in discussions/disputes about Intelligent Design and Creationism.



I'll post more about it as I read more, even though I generally dislike discussing items with which I find myself in substantial agreement. A tension necessary for thought is lacking.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Map of Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors