Saturday, July 19, 2008

I thought I was back before...

Let's see if it takes this time. A lot has happened in the last 3 months. We moved from Central Arkansas back to the Northeast earlier this month. We drove up, the Mischiefs were really. really well-behaved throughout the 4 day drive. We took our time, we probably could have made the trip in 3 days, but we wanted to stop off and see Niagara Falls. I thought the Mischiefs would be more impressed than they were. Little Mischief found all the noise from the Falls unsettling. Oh, well.



Anyway, I'm thinking I may increase the scope of this blog from religion-related thoughts to include political and philosophical reflections. I've been asking myself whether the "human condition" is broken. Or less grandiosely phrased, "Is the so-called 'problem of pain' from theology more fruitfully (re)phrased as 'the problem of redemption'?



I want to finish the post(s) on the limits of subjectivity and start some mischief about The Singularity at Raymond Kurzweil's expense. Futurists all seem to be such true believers in their quasi-Utopian visions of the future that I find myself reaching back to the 19th Century to Marx, Nietzsche, and Dostoevsky to wonder if there's nothing quite so foolish as repetitiously foolish Improvers of Mankind [or should that be so 'foolishly repetitious'?]



I've also been trying [off and on] to track down a comment made by Heidegger linking either Modern Technology or Science or both to Auschwitz. I strongly suspect that that remark was the seed out of which Expelled: No Intelligence Allowedgrew. Or maybe I'm misremembering it. My own false memory: remembering the text saying what I want & need it to say, rather than remembering the actual words of the text. I was brought up fundamentalist Christian, after all.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Map of Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors