Thursday, September 29, 2011

reason knows of its difficulties when irony fails

If my reason remained untouched in the times of acute despair, it would be no small comfort. Unfortunately, it is not so. In my post of May 27th, I alluded to how cognition can be compromised. That irony had no place in the events of this spring was particularly painful. Irony depends on making a thought, a feeling, a remark, or something else in an object considered from another perspective. It is the mark of a healthy intellect that it can consider its remarks and events from multiple perspectives each with its own tendencies and preferences.



In my case, dysfunction in my cognitive abilities shows itself in a propensity to compulsive, monomaniacal obsession with a point of view. I can't get outside of myself.



When I am in one of these moments of despair, I am not cognizant of any other possible way of regarding my present situation, except as what most forcibly presents itself. In the case, of the despair, it won't go away and I can't shift my point of view to subject the despair to analysis to gain a different and possibly deeper understanding. The psychic pain is acute and no more amenable to analysis than a broken leg.



It sometimes happens that I am aware that my thought processes are aberrant, but more often than not, I am not. With awareness of compromised mental faculties, there is at least the possibility of going for a walk, or calling a friend, or something else that will get me out of myself.




free hit counter

1 comment:

Search This Blog

Map of Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors