Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Bob's Playlist #4, July 27, 2015

1. The Devil Makes Three, “They Call That Religion”

2. The Sacred Shakers, “Jordan Is A Hard Road To Travel” [This song comes from a time when Christians were more concerned with the state of their own souls than with legislating the behavior of other people.”]

3. George Thorogood & The Delaware Destroyers, “Who Do You Love?” [George Thorogood covering Bo Diddley. It was Rounder Records’ first really big hit. Today it can be heard everywhere from Sam Adams tv ads to tv & movie soundtracks. It’s instantly recognizable & really, really listenable. The live version is included in the anthology collection. I prefer the studio version to the live version; however, both are good. He is one of 3 performers I’ve seen live. He opened for ZZ Top, and I very much preferred him to ZZ Top. If you don’t recognize his version of “Who Do You Love?,” you will certainly recognize “Bad To The Bone.”]

4. Dead Kennedys, “Viva Las Vegas.” [A flashback to the 80’s. I prefer their “Viva Las Vegas” to their better known “California Uber Alles” Their version of “I Fought The Law & I Won” is surprisingly listenable when compared to some of their other songs.]

5. Rev. Gary Davis, “Death Don’t Have No Mercy.”

6. Frank Stokes, “Tain’t Nobody’s Business If I Do” [Good luck finding this one. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it’s on YouTube. It’s an early version of a blues favorite. BTW, I have a new favorite album, “The Rough Guide to Unsung Heroes of Country Blues.” I don’t know how the old 78s were remastered. I have never heard such astonishing clarity for such old recordings. No hiss. No pops. I imagine the recordings on this cd are clearer than the original 78s when first released. We have a copy on the new cd shelve.]

7. Steely Dan, “Bodhisattva.” [I’ve liked Steely Dan from when I first heard them in the 70s on into the present. I’ve heard all of their albums and released tracks this is my favorite of the lot.]

8. Mississippi John Hurt, “Make Me a Pallet on the Floor.”

9. The Trashmen, “Surfin’ Bird” [If you haven’t heard this one, it has to be heard to be believed.]

10. Pokey LaFarge, “The Devil Ain’t Lazy”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Map of Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors